Re: Changing Front Differential Oil

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 08:10:41 EST

In article <20031118205406.CEKZ4890.lakemtao07.cox.net@smtp.central.cox.net>,
<slakie@cox.net> writes:

> This past weekend I changed my rear differential oil over to Redline 75W-90.
>I took a look at the front differential with the thought of changing it
>sometime in the future but it looked pretty tight to get in there. Has
>anybody had any experience doing the front and were any special tools
>required. Also the transfer case looks fairly easy any experience with that.
>I have a 2K CC 4x4 with a 4.7 5 speed.

I just did my front, rear and transfer case about three weeks ago. I had no
issues r&ring the cover on the front. To add oil up front I had made up a rig
that consisted of about 4 feet of tranny hose with a funnel on on end. You just
snake the line down from above the radiator and into the fill hole and add your
fluid from above. You will spill a little because the line will be full when
you see it coming out the fill hole on the cover, just remember to keep the
drain pan under it.

The transfer case is cake with the truck on ramps. Another tool that helps with
these jobs is a cap that screws onto oil bottles that has a push/pull valve and
a length of hose. Lets you get the bottle positioned upside down above the fill
hole without spilling any fluid. The one I got came with several adapters to
fit all the common size oil bottle threads. I think I ran across it at Autozone
a few years back.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4