RE: Code P1494

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 19:38:01 EST

Here ya go....

NO: 18-01-00
SUBJECT: Misdiagnosed Leak Detection Pump Systems With DTC P1494, P0442,
P0455, OR P0456
DATE: Feb. 4, 2000
DISCUSSION:
During evaporative system diagnosis, Leak Detection Pumps have mistakenly
been replaced. A thorough inspection for pinched, kinked, or disconnected
supply vacuum lines (as currently listed in the Powertrain Diagnostic
Procedures) is a critical step in diagnosing DTC P1494 (LDP SW OR MECHANICAL
FAULT). Additionally, the other evaporative leak faults (DTC P0442 - SMALL
LEAK, P0455 - LARGE LEAK, and P0456 - VERY SMALL LEAK) should have the
supply vacuum lines examined for pinches or kinks prior to any LDP component
replacement.

The supply vacuum lines should be checked from the engine compartment all
the way to the fuel tank, including the LDP and purge system.

NOTE: VERIFY ALL RELATED SUPPLY VACUUM LINE ROUTINGS FOR PINCHES, KINKS, OR
DISCONNECTION'S BEFORE REPLACING LDP SYSTEM COMPONENTS.

- Bernd