Re: Gear whine?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 10:31:08 EST

At 08:08 AM 12/3/2003, Andy wrote:

>75w140? I'm pretty sure mine takes 75w90, Jason. Double-check your manual.

2001 Dakota owner's manual, page 171 (in bold face type):
"For all trailer tow or heavy-duty applications it is strongly recommended
that the factory fill rear axle lubricant be replaced with an SAE 75W-140
synthetic gear lubricant."

Two words: trailer tow :-)

We used Amsoil as it was half the price of the Mopar fluid. I did get a
tube of the friction modifier from the dealer and gave it to the Firestone
shop that replaced the gears. They told me they put it in and charged for
the Amsoil, so I'm assuming that's what's in there.