Re: Gear whine?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 15:11:48 EST

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:28:14 -0500, dml@tepidcola.com (Michael
Maskalans) wrote:
>On Dec 3, 2003, at 10:31 AM, Jason Bleazard wrote:
>
>> 2001 Dakota owner's manual, page 171 (in bold face type):
>> "For all trailer tow or heavy-duty applications it is strongly
>> recommended that the factory fill rear axle lubricant be replaced with
>> an SAE 75W-140 synthetic gear lubricant."
>
>interesting.... definitely news to me.
>
>also rather amusing that they say to swap out the stock fill for
>something else if you're going to be using the truck as a truck.
>hmmm...

My 2000 came filled with 75w90 (actually it was probably 80w90). The
owners manual says to switch to a synthetic fluid (but does not
specify 75w140) if the truck will be used to tow. I switched to
Redline 75w90 in both the front and the rear and have not had any
problems at all.

I'll have to take a closer look at my owners manual and the FSM
tonight to see if there is any mention of 75w140 that I hadn't noticed
before. At any rate, I don't think that would cause the gears to
start making noise. Friction modifier is a likely suspect...

-Bill