Re: OT: Jeep Damage

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 10:31:31 EST

On Dec 5, 2003, at 8:00 AM, Jon Slavic wrote:

> Ever remember the tests where people were doing 5 mph damage reports
> and
> telling how much the costs were to fix them. Well some jagoff in an
> Expedition (can I say that word on the board?, Expedition?) decided to
> look
> for his cell phone while coming to a stop sign. Just happened that we
> were
> stopped in front of him waiting for traffic to clear before we took
> off.
> WHAM! I said a few distinct words (you can only guess), then got out
> to see
> the damage. The other guy jumps out "oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I was
> looking for my cell phone and wasn't paying attention!" Whatever dick!
> Give me your info, blah blah.
>
> The dude hit the spare mounted on the rear gate. It smashed in the
> rear
> gate, messed up the tire cover. Final cost $1304.85 because the
> dumbass
> had to make a call. This was a less than 5 mph accident.
>
> --
> --
> Jon Slavic
> 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus, 4x4, 4.7L, CC, Intense Blue
> 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited, 4x4, 3.7L, Bright Silver

I remember those tests. I remember vehicles like yours being high in
damage because the spare gets hit and smashes in the tailgate (no
offense to you). Sorry to hear about your vehicle though. At least at
that speed everyone should be alright.

My wife got plowed at a red light by a guy on his cell phone 5 years
ago. He was doing at least 45mph and never even saw her or the red
light. She had to go to the hospital but luckily she didn't have any
major injuries, just some muscle sprains, and is fine to this day. The
beauty of that accident was there were two sheriff deputies on the side
talking and witnessed the whole thing. They took pictures and such. The
guy tried to go to court later and get out of the ticket and lied about
everything. The best was he said it was raining and the picture the
deputies took of the scene showed a sunny day. He ended up getting his
license suspended (he had a string of tickets for tailgating and
careless driving) and having to go through a long drivers safety
course.

I rear-ended a conversion van 3 years ago in my '96 dak and it did a
lot of damage to the back of the van. The accident wasn't ruled my
fault since I was following at a safe distance and we were all starting
to come to a stop. The guy in front of me panicked stopped and all of
the sudden quit moving. He plowed the car in front of him and the cop
ruled that there was no way i could have avoided hitting him.

Jeff Durling