Re: Moog and factory ball joints ...

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 14:53:28 EST

<Aajaynefour@cs.com> wrote in message news:b6.2631765f.2d0f6289@cs.com...

> Fellow DML'ers,
>
> First, Moog has finally released the lower ball joints (K7395) for '00 and
> newer 4x4 Dakotas. I have a set. Just had a chance to compare them to
the
> equivalent Moog part (K7267) for '99 and older Dakotas. They are
substantially
> different! Based on this observation alone I would not use ball joints
from '99
> and older vehicles as a replacement on '00 and up vehicles. Moog advised
> against this also.
>
> Moog has once again pushed back the release of the Upper joints, this time
> until after the first of the year. We'll see. I do, however, have a set
of the
> factory replacement upper ball joints for '00 and up Dakotas (5104816AB)
and
> was able to compare them to the Moog part (K7242) for '99 and older
Dakotas.
> The factory parts, made by SKS Industries, are more substantial. The
three
> bolt flange is thicker as are the three attaching bolts (10mm vs. 5/16" or
> ~8mm). Sadly they are not greasable, but the manner in which the boot
attaches
> seems more likely to keep the crud out and the grease in than on the Moog
part.
> This comparison of parts 5104816AB and K7242 is not completely fair. The
> factory part is for '00 and newer and the Moog part is for '99 and older.
>
> Just thought I would pass this along in case any of you are considering
using
> earlier parts on '00 and up vehicles.
>
> Andrew

I've used the NAPA balljoints for my 2000 2wd truck (which are made by DANA)
without problems. I would have liked to use the MOOG units because I'd used
them before and knew that they were quality, however I really wasn't
inclined to wait for something that had been postponed indefinately. The
DANA units looked exactly like the stock ones that I was replacing, except
that the boot design looked to be much nicer. It's been a trooper so far,
so I can only hope....

I used these over the dodge ones because I had only been able to find the
joint as a unit with the control arm. How did you manage to get the part
number for just the joint? I was told by dodge that there was no part
number for anything but the whole arm.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L