good day at the track

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 00:47:34 EST

well, i decided to take the truck out to test out the mods i've made, and to
celebrate the end of a hellish fall semester. well, i must say... it was a
good day. here are the details.

run # 1:
60': 2.318
1/4: 16.893@79.87
Note: this was my first ever 16-second pass.

run # 2:
60': 2.375
1/4: 16.93@80.17
Note: i couldn't get any traction out of the hole, which explains the poor
60-foot times as compared with the other runs.

run # 3:
60': 2.302
1/4: 16.739@80.68
Note: this was the fastest run i made (ever!)

Now, let me explain the situation. first off, the local track is over 100
miles from my house, so when i put gas in the tank, i wasn't sure how much
to put in, since i haven't made any "long distance" trips on the new gears.
however, because i filled up the tank to the first "click" of the pump, and
didn't use half a tank of gas in getting to the track, i made all those runs
with just under 3/4 tank of gas.

Also, the temperature at the track was dropping, and i left with the temp
somewhere in the 40's. The first three runs weren't made with a cool
engine, as all three runs came within an hour. however, after the third
run, i completely let the engine cool down, but wasn't able to stay to make
a 4th run, because it was already 10:30, and i had an hour and a half drive
to get home, so i wasted a completely cooled engine (oh, and i was 5th in
line to go, but my class didn't make any runs for about another 30 minutes
after i left).

with all said-and-done, i think my truck could have put out a 16.5, maybe
even 16.4 (since it was noticably colder when i left, 2.5 hours after my 3d
run). However, i now know a couple of areas that i or my truck need
improvement: (1) shifting- remedied with a short-throw shifter, (2)
superchips programmer, (3) less gas and (4) more runs!!!

well, that's it! i guess i'll be able to go to the track during spring
break, but i doubt the times will be up to this level (not as cold).

Gabriel A. Couriel