RE: Re: 911: transfer case blew up

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 16:28:30 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Terrible Tom
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 2:25 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: Re: 911: transfer case blew up

<When I first heard about Mikes mishap the first thing I thought about
was Dakota and his T-case. As we learned there, his drive shaft was bent.
Do these joints have grease fittings?
The double joints forward of Christine's NP231 didn't seem to have zerks.
Rear shaft did however.>

Tom, Technically, Dakota Dodge's front shaft wasn't bent. It's a two piece
shaft and it just wasn't flexing properly at the double joint due to
corrosion. However, the effect was the same as spinning a bent shaft. The
runout was about 3/16 " plus or minus.

We didn't discover it until the t-case was replaced and everything
reinstalled. Testing 4HI and 4LO with the truck running on stands made it
pretty noticeable. And, rather than blow up the replacement t-case, he
decided that returning to Maine with the front shaft in the bed of the truck
was the smartest idea. He planned to get a repaired or replacement front
shaft at home.

The u-joints on my front shaft don't have grease fittings either, although
the slip joint does.