RE: t-case selection.....

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 17:23:07 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Michael
Maskalans
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 9:08 AM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: t-case selection.....

<As for what I can find about putting in a fulltime 'case, I'm a bit
confused: according to Tenafly, there are a half dozen different
transfer cases for a '98 Dakota: 2.5, 3.9, 5.2/5.9, 5.2/5.9 - manual trans,
5.2/5.9 - automatic. for a '98 Durango, there are two: NV231 & NV242.
The D's 231 price doesn't match with anything for the Dakota.... but
clearly there's some odd things going with the Dakota selection, and the
site says as much, saying the Dakota's t-case "Parts & Prices [are] For
Estimating Only."
so does anyone really know anything about the 231 versus 242? Since they're
available in the same vehicles, I'd expect them to be pretty interchangeable
as far as linkage position, bolt pattern and size go, and that I'd only have
to worry about a possible change in drive shaft lengths. what about the
interchangeability of a '90 Dakota's 'case?>

Mike, from what I can see in the '99 service manual, the NV231 and NV242 are
probably the same length end-to-end. I think they are designed to fit
interchangeably and I would bet that they have the same splines and overall
lengths. After all, they were both offered as either/or options in '98 and
'99 4X's. Other years I'm less certain about.
The only drive shaft length difference would be between 2X and 4X, which
would be the length of the T-case.
Torque specifications for fasteners are given but dimensions aren't. The
diagrams showing the removal of the rear extension and the rear bearings and
some other assemblies are actually the same diagram in both sections of the
book.
The major difference is the incorporation of a planetary differential in the
NV242. It allows differentiation between the front and rear drive shafts.

The 1990 model year could be different enough so that I'm not going to guess
about them being interchangeable.

Regarding Tenafly, I think someone there is confusing transmissions and
T-cases. For Gen III's through 2000 (I think), only two T-cases were
available, 231 and 242 and neither was available with the 360 cu. in engine
for those years because there were no factory 360 4X4's.