Re: rear brakes

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 23:42:04 EST

Hey, Steve,

<snip> I have powerslot rotors on my 01 quad, its been 10k miles and i'm
starting
to get a noise like if the rotors were warped already. Is that
possible?<snip>

I kinda doubt it - unless you've got a seized caliper. I DID have a problem
with the driver's side PS rotor on the DAKSY
- the slots got filled with brake dust & it sounded & felt horrible...Turns
out I lost a caliper spring somewhere along the road & the caliper musta
been rockin on the braking surface...beat the crap outta the rotor...New
caliper spring (& PS rotor) I no probs...She's got 46K on the passenger side
& it's still in good shape...

<snip> Could the baks drum breaks be making the noise?<snip>

That's a tough call...if you can feel the pulse in the pedal, it's the
fronts...In 35 years of driving, I've never felt anything from rear brakes,
but I HAVE heard them...they grind something awful when the shoe linings are
shot...

<snip> Also wondering if powerslot rotors can be turned?<snip>

Lotta debate on that one. I'm a machinist by trade & I say yes - WITH the
right set-up. If you have access to a brake rotor lathe with a rigid set-up,
& it has carbide cutting tool capability, & high enough RPMs - the answer is
definitely YES. Carbide will handle an interrupted cut very adequately... If
you're working with HSS cutting tools, the interrupted cut will probably
fracture the cutting edge before you make one complete pass along the
surface...the RPMs for HSS are too slow, as is the feed rate...that'll lead
to excessive heat build-up & premature tool failure...

HTH,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed