How to determine axle ratio?

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 11:02:21 EST

Hey all-

     I just traded my 2000 club cab for a 2004 Club Cab 4x4 SXT. It's got
the 3.7L, auto transmission (42RLE) and the part-time transfer case. I
thought the default axle ratio was 3.55 and the window sticker doesn't say
anything about the axle ratio changed as an option or in the standard
equipment. The sticker in the glove box says 3.92 though. I'm not sure
which to believe, since my old truck said 3.55 limited slip on the sticker
and 3.21 in the glove box. Is there a way to decode the VIN or does the
axle indicate what the ratio is? Either ratio is fine as far as I'm
concerned, but I was curious.

Thanks,
Korey Atterberry