Re: Thermostats for 4.7

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 01:29:48 EST

   I have to agree with Bernd on this one -- "No detrimental effects at
all". I have a 2000 4.7L and have toyed with the same theory. After running
a 180* for the last 57,000+ miles all is well with the motor. But would a
180* T-stat with the plunger that partially (or better yet fully) blocks the
engine bypass port help the motor even more. I would rather see more of the
hot coolant get cooled in the radiator then running back thur the bypass
port. For those of you not familiar with the 4.7L T-stat configuration,
There's a photo essay about it on my web site. www.y2kota.us Its listed in
the modification page.

--
Don Mallett