Re: Alpine 6.5 Coaxials

From: brett4hand@hotmail.com
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 13:31:27 EST

In article <15a.2adfd118.2d28722c@aol.com>, B1LLYW@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 1/3/2004 2:19:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> brett4hand@hotmail.com writes:
>

> > Hey Bill,
> > I put some Alpine 6 1/2" coaxials in my doors last year. They were around
> > 100
> > bucks, and sound really good. I upgraded the deck to a Sony that plays
> > MP3's
> > at the same time. Crutchfield only lists the 5 1/4's to fit, but the shop
> > went to said there was plenty of room with no cutting for the 6.5's. There
> > are
> > tons of speakers to choose from, and it all boils down to how much you want
> > spend, and what YOUR ears like the best. I would definitely recommend
> > running
> > the larger 6.5" speakers over the factory size, though.
> >
> > Brett Forehand
> > '94 Dakota Sport CC 5.2 Auto
> >

> Got a model number on those speakers, Brett? Thanks.
>
> Bill White

Yeah Bill, they are SPS-170A's. I had my choices narrowed down the the
Infinity, Cerwin Vega!, Polk, and the Alpines. Kind of came down to a "hey,
I'm in the shop with money in my hand" more than anything else. I liked all of
my choices about the same, but the Alpines were in stock and the shop got me in
and out in about 2 hours. Definitely a huge improvement over the factory
system. Like I said, the Sony deck I got plays MP3's, so I just burn what I
want to listen to. I'm running a Cerwin Vega 12" sub out back, but need an amp
to make it really happy. The Alpines had decent sensitivity (92 db) and very
good freq. response (35hz-30khz). Even though I think only dogs can hear over
22khz. ;) It was the lows that I was impressed with. Pretty good bump for a
6.5" speaker running about 20 watts per channel to them. Also, if I remember
right, all of the 6.5's I was looking at had zero clearance issues either in
depth or diameter.

Happy hunting!
Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota Sport CC 5.2 Auto