Re: Re: RE: FourWheel Falcon Slide in camper on a Quad?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 15:05:22 EST

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:33:44 -0500, MeJoe100NOSPAM@cox.net ("Joe")
wrote:
>The many folks out there who tow and enjoy it have my admiration and
>applause but for us towing sucks.

Unfortunately, I think you're just going to end up overloading the
Dakota if you try to put a slide-in on it. From some of the numbers
that have been flying around here, it sounds like you won't have a
whole lot of leeway.

The consequences of having a truck overloaded could be far more
disasterous than what you saw... and there's a reason why you don't
see a whole lot of "compact" pickups with slide-in campers.

I'll admit that I actually don't enjoy driving that much, except when
no one else is on the road (read: almost never). I hate the burden of
constantly having to think about and compensate for the stupid things
that I know the other people on the road with me are going to do, but
it's the only way to stay safe. Because of that, I, too, disliked
towing -- at least initially. But it really does get better as time
goes on. I was extremely paranoid for the first couple of months
pulling my boat trailer around, but I've gotten pretty comfortable
with it. What I've found is that driving with the trailer actually
forces me to be a safer driver because I remain much more aware of
what's around me.

If I had to pick an RV setup right now, I'd probably pick a 20-25'-ish
travel trailer. At some later date, I'd like to have a full-size
diesel truck and a much larger 5th wheel. (Although the 45' coach
with the enclosed car trailer still has a definite appeal. :-) )

-Bill