Re: Jack Stands

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 18:40:29 EST

"Travis Bailey" <dusterrt@msn.com> wrote:

: For those who fear collapsing ramps and stands, an alternative is out there
: besides a hydraulic lift...make your own ramps out of wood, in a stair-step
: pattern. Heavy, yes, but will they collapse? Nope. Might compress a
: little but if you make them solid I venture to say they'd be unbreakable
: (unless you are trying to break them). Then you can make them with as much
: height as you want, and at whatever approach angle as well. Another upside
: would be they wouldn't sink much if you're not on pavement, lots of surface
: area distributing the weight (heck I about had my car fall on me one hot
: August day when I was 15, stands sunk and shifted in the blacktop enough to
: drop the car! Fell right after I got out from under to grab the jack to set
: it down). Downside would be they'd probably be very slick when wet (but
: really what isn't? lol). Just my $.02 on a subject that's probably been
: beaten to death...

  I have a set of wood ramps, actually. :-) You are right on
all counts - they are sturdy, heavy, and slippery when wet. :-)
We have had them for years and years; I think they may have been
built in the 60s! Only problem is though that some of the wood
has started to crack after decades of use so I don't really trust
them anymore. We sure did get our money's worth out of 'em in
the meantime though. :-) The slippery part could be fixed by
screwing some expanded metal on the ramp surface, but we never
bothered.

   Here's an idea - ramps made out of a solid chunk of billet
aluminum - any takers? ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'