Re: GPS INFO NEEDED

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 20:13:39 EST

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:26:22 -0500, andy-dml@levyclan.us (andy levy)
wrote:
>> How about don't pay the 70$ a month for it?
>
>You think that will stop it from accepting commands from HQ? If GM
>wants remote access, they'll get it.

Absolutely. If you haven't activated it before (or if you cancelled
or didn't pay your bill), you can still call Onstar and they can
activate your service for the first time even if you've never had an
account.

There are two cases I know of where this happened.

In one case, someone who works with my father was going to be moving
to the U.S. from Canada. Before moving, he bought a new truck -- a
Chevy/GMC of some sort. The dealer got some of the paperwork mixed
up, so they ended up being "short" that particular truck from their
inventory. They notified the police, who notified Onstar, who was
able to locate the vehicle. Unfortunately, this led to the police
"following" the vehicle and falsely arresting him (and his pregnant
wife) when they came out of a grocery store. They got it cleared up a
few hours later, but still a big headache.

In the second case, a friend of my family left his keys in his Buick
by mistake. When he came out 20 minutes later, his car had been
stolen. Again, onstar was able to locate his car and tell the police
where it was without him ever signing up for their service.

-Bill