Re: replacing timing chain on 1998 dakota 2.5 liter

From: KenCo (ken@kencofish.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 02:33:51 EST

Jon N. Benignus wrote:

> on 1/14/04 7:44 PM, Kyle Vanditmars at kylevan@telus.net wrote:
>

>>Pull the head, unfortunately.
>

> Not so fast, Grasshopper.
> If the timing chain has jumped a couple teeth, the valves will be open when
> the piston comes to TDC, hence, no compression.

ummm, that would be across the board, not 1 cyl. only! ;)

> Pull the timing cover and see if the timing sprockets are properly aligned.
> Or, pull the valve cover, turn the engine using a socket wrench until the #1
> piston reaches TDC then check to see if the valves are closed. Rockers will
> be loose if the chain hasn't jumped time.
>
> Good luck,
> Jon
> STL MO

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121 Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced ;)