Transmission Shifting in Sub Zero Temps

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 08:00:00 EST

We had the coldest morning (-7 F) in my recollection in the Boston area today.
I know the tranny does not shift into 4th until it is up to temperature. In my
14 years of owning Dakotas that has never been more than a mile or two of
driving, but it's never been this cold either. Today I drove my entire 14 mile
commute to work without it shifting to 4th, shifting between 1-3 was normal.

My question for those that regularly see sub zero temps is it common/normal for
it to not shift into 4th on a drive of that length? My engine temp was up to
the normal point on the gauge within 3 miles of the house.

Dave Clement
89 SLT+ CC 4x4