Re: The Case for DRLs (long)

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 09:37:35 EST

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 06:39:16 -0600, Jon N. Benignus <blkwidow1@primary.net>
wrote:

> Notice, with M/C DRLs running at 100% intensity, and bouncing/wiggling,
> accidents went UP by 4%.
> You can put laser beams on something, if you don't want to see it, you
> won't. Auto drivers do not feel M/Cs are a threat to them, so while they
> see
> the bike, it is quickly put out of their minds.
> In nearly all left turn crashes involving a bike and car, the auto driver
> says, "I didn't see him".
> I spoke with a guy who was driving his bike when he saw a car ahead with
> its
> L signal on. Both drivers made eye contact, and the car then turned in
> front
> of the bike, resulting in the bike center punching the car. The auto
> driver
> stated, "You motorcyclists go too fast. I needed to teach you a lesson".
> The see no threat from a bike, so they it doesn't register in their
> minds.
> Trains-they have very loud horns and bright lights, and most crossings
> have
> flashing lights. People still say they didn't see/hear the train.
>
> What I find funny is school busses with a strobe light on top. If you
> can't
> see that big, bright yellow bus, you sure aren't going to see a blinking
> light.

Motocycles are very hard to see. People are used to looking for larger
objects. Whenever I see one I am always super careful around them. I don't
get as close to them on the highway as I would another vehicle. That single
light throws you when you see it. Especially at night. It's hard to judge
the speed and distance without the two lights. And when it's a car with one
headlight. That'll really throw you for a loop. Well. It does for me
anyway. :P At first it looks like a motorcycle at a far distance but it's a
car thats closer.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota