Re: recommendation on cat back, or more

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 10:48:27 EST

Santa brought me a Flowmaster Force II cat back system for my Dakota. The Force
II is a 50 series 3 chamber muffler verse the louder American Thunder system
which comes with a 40 series 2 chamber.

Anyway, the muffler has a 2.5" inlet that fits the stock pipe from the cat and
a 3" outlet. The tailpipe is a manderal bent pipe 3" aluminized pipe. It has
the hanger welded on. The 3" tail pipe clamp has a hanger welded to it to fit
the other stock hanger. It didn't come with the 2.5" clamp for the inlet side
but there was a nice Flowmaster ball cap in the box so I forgave them. It took
less than an hour to install in my garage (longer if you do not have a sawsall
to cut off the old pipes and an air chisel to seperate the muffler from the
intermediate pipe).

My truck is a 3.9 v6 and it has a nice rumble at idle and you definately hear
it at WOT but not at all objectionable. There is a very slite resonance in the
cab getting on an off the throttle but again it's not annoying or
objectionable. Really has no impact on peformance below 2500 rpm but above that
it does pull with more authority (not much but it's there). Just for the
improvement in sound I am satisfied.

Jeg's has these systems on sale for about $150. FWIW, Anytime I do exhaust work
I paint it with hi-temp paint before installing. Certainly not as good as a
stainless system but keeps the exhaust looking good for years in the New
England roads I drive on.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4