Re: CB Radio

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 01:24:09 EST

On Jan 19, 2004, at 23:40, Ken Allgood wrote:

> Well, today is my b-day, just turned 27...

happy b-day, Ken!

> I've pretty much decided my
> parents can buy, or help buy, a CB radio for me. I know it's been
> discussed
> a little bit (i'm going to go check the archives in a minute), but what
> would be a low-cost way to go with some-what decent quality.. CB Radio
> and
> antennea?

Take a look a Uniden's site for their refurb'd radios. some very good
deals can be had there - it's where both my father's and my radios came
from. Avoid Cobras - good name IMO, but my dad has had seriously
horrible luck with them (3-plus refurbs and swap-outs before he gave up
and went to the same model Uniden I've been using for 2 years)

> Oh, another note on the antennea, I do put the Dakota in the garage
> quite
> often, what solutions are out there for that???

ALF Enterprises is where I've bought my stuff. 2-3 orders, no
problems, very good (but not *quite* the *best*) prices
get this:

FireStik II 2' whip, Dodge fender mount

Firestik FS2 Tunable Tip Antenna
<http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/
firestik_antennas.htm>
Firestik MK-184R (Dodge mounting kit w/ coax)
<http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/mounting_kits.htm>

or this:

FireStik II 3' (or 4') whip, Dodge fender mount, heavy duty spring and
internal locking removable dealie (had the non-retained spring, but
after 3 years the spring was quite rusted. the captive spring in the
internal model is stainless)

Firestik FS3 Tunable Tip Antenna
<http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/
firestik_antennas.htm>
- OR -
Firestik FS4 Tunable Tip Antenna
<http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/
firestik_antennas.htm>

Firestik MK-184R (Dodge mounting kit w/ coax)
<http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/mounting_kits.htm>
Firestik "Push-N-Twist" Quick Disconnect - K1A Internal Locking
<http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/
cb_mounting_access.htm>
HD Firestik Stainless Steel Spring
<http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/
cb_mounting_access.htm>

and if you have any questions about CBs at all, look here:
<http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm>

HTH,

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 360 (parked)         98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!)