Re: Blocking EGR Valve?

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 17:42:34 EST

Technically speaking, the EGR is not to provide for faster warm-ups. Rather
it is designed to heat incoming air, which increases combustion
temperatures, which in turn reduces emission of NOx. You cannot simply
remove the tube without fabbing a blockoff plate. You can use a peice of
old intake manifold gasket (the graphite/metal gasket) and make a gasket to
fit, but without a hole for the gas to travel through the tube. In effect,
making a blockoff gasket.

If you don't have any handy, send me a SASE and I'll send you a peice.

The sky is blue due to refraction of light through upper atmospheric dust
and ice.

Waldo is a fictional character, designed and encouraged by liberal
democrats. This is to promote social decay by removing responsibility from
lazy parents. It also provides them with a scapegoat when their child is
given a neurodepressant drug, rather than the belt across the ass they so
desperately need.

-Jon Smith

I recall someone mentioning blocking off the EGR valve in a response to one
of my pinging posts. Well now that everything seems to be peachy, I need
something else to keep me from getting bored lol. When I did the intake
gaskets I saw the EGR tube ran to a place on the exh manifold. Assuming
this is like any older engine I've worked on, this just runs some exhaust
through the intake to warm it up a tad faster right? I've got an exhaust
tick, I have to assume the seal didn't survive the R&R. I'm in a
non-emissions area so this should be fine. Is this just a manner of taking
the tube off between the manifolds or is it more involved than that?
Someone mentioned a cheap kit from dealers that does this as well? Any part
numbers or should I just ask for the EGR block off kit? How cheap is cheap?
  Why is the sky blue? Where's Waldo? Lol. Thanks guys,

Travis
'92 Dak 5.2 4x4

Find high-speed 'net deals - comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com