Re: Cheap Trans

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 10:50:33 EST

Jon N. Benignus wrote:

> In a 3500 van I would assume it is an A-518. (assume!!??!!)
>
> I would doubt it is an A-500, but you never know. The 518 to my knowlwdge
> was the HD tranny of that era (727 w/OD).
> I would ask if there was any trailer towing done, and if so, what was towed.
> If little to none, I would say get it, if the price is right.

Ok, the seller doesn't know exactly what trans it is. He took the
engine and trans out of his father-in-law's written-off van. He does
know it is a 4-speed, and since it's in a 3500, it's gotta be the 518.

My only concern is that I have the A-500 now, so will the trans just
basically bolt up? This would basically sit until either my current
trans breaks, or I decide to get a little bit wild in the engine
compartment, so it's not too critical. ;)