Re: 2005 Dakota - More Info (cars.com)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 17:04:25 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> "Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
>
> : Except you still have the same control arm setup (I'm assuming). I don't
> : see any real advantages. You can't just put a larger coil in there like
> : you can with a solid axle. You'll still have to re-locate the entire axle
> : as well as upper and lower control arms. At least with torsion bars you
> : could crank them back up if they started to sag with age. The only
> : problem I'm aware of with torsion bars in regards to lifting is that many
> : kits lower the rear mounting point of the bars, which impacts breakover
> : angle.

Obviously you can't just stick a longer spring in - I was thinking of
something I saw in Peterson's 4wheel - they took one of the new F-150
4x4s and outfitted it with a custom suspension. Longer lower control
arms or something. (read: guinea pig truck that a lift manuf. designed a
kit for and gets magazine coverage) I don't remember if the new F-150
is a torsion bar or coil over 4x4 front set up. The fact that the basis
for a torsion bar lift is basically to relocate the suspension LOWER in
relation to the frame, is why I think a coil over set up will allow for
a better designed lift. Now, without having actually seen this
suspension I can only theorize and speculate as to how it could be done.

But the way I look at it - depending on the design of the control arms -
it should be possible to replace the stock arms with arms designed to
allow for taller springs - and longer suspension travel. Relocation of
the lower arms, lower in relation to the frame - may still be necessary.

> Here's a possible benefit - maybe you can use the upper
> coil-over mounts to bolt in a solid front axle like they
> shoulda done at the factory. ;-) That should save what, an
> hour of work? ;-)

Mmmmmmmm - yes - I can see where having a stock coil over set up would
be a very good starting point for an axle swap. Yessssssss this has
much promise.