RE: RE: Re: For Those Who Love CID

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 16:33:26 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Wisotzkey,
Rich
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 6:26 AM
To: 'dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net'
Subject: DML: RE: Re: For Those Who Love CID

That's a good question. I was so blown away with the magnitude of the
engine, I never thought about what they use to torque those huge nuts
and
bolts!

For the studs holding the cylinder heads on, they probably use the "stud
stretch method".
The studs would have a drilled and tapped hole in the center.
Once the head is in place, and a nut is run down to the head surface, a
high strength rod is threaded into the stud and an integral hydraulic
jack, bearing against the head surface, lifts the stud a few
thousandths. The device also spins the nut down tight and then the jack
is released slowly. The amount of stretch is carefully calculated and
can be related to the final "torque" value. There are a limited number
of stretch cycles and a "not to exceed" stretch length before the studs
have to be replaced.
This is the method used on most commercial pressurized water nuclear
plants to torque the reactor head bolts following refueling.