Some Info & ?s on O2 sensors

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 10:25:11 EST

Hey all,

SOME INFO:

   The question, "is there a difference between the forward and rear
    O2 sensors have come up once in a blue moon". I can't recall
    if a definitive answer has been given but the answer is yes. Part #s
    and costs are different. Also, while the front one has 3 round holes
    to sample the gas from the exhaust manifold/header, the rear one
    has numerous elongated oval holes to sample the O2 content from
    the cat.

   Cost of the rear one is a little more expensive than the front one.

   Mopar O2 sensors are made by NTK .

QUESTION:

    On the 97 (I imagine that it's also true for other years with a rear
    O2 sensor), there is one rear sensor in the system but there are
    two listed; one with 12" wires and one with 18" wires.

    Anyone know why two are available? Reg. cab vs club cab?

Bob Tom Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, na modded 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE w transgo, 4.56 SG,
      3000 stall converter, 4120 lb race weight, 13.98 @ 99.85