Re: Ram Air Kit....$600....C'mon, ya gotta be kidding

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 13:02:45 EST

"Ed Estoppey" <turbododge@rogers.com> wrote:
: Hey all,
: first of all , i wanna say thanks for helping me get a hold of Terry Delong
: from Proglass. Once talkin to him, he directed me to Keystone to get a much
: needed Ram Air Kit for my Good Hood. I was then gave a number to a shop here
: in Ontario , that quoated me roughly 600 bucks (canadian) for the airbox and
: filter. LOL I almost had a stroke. Has anyone here on the list made their
: own airbox to make their hood function? or does anyone have a Kit lying
: around?(incase someone smashed their hood in a collision or sumfin). Incase
: your wondering why I have a Ram Air Hood and no ram air setup, is because
: the hood was on my 98 v6 dakota, so the hood is uncut. Thanks guys(and gals)

   It depends on what sort of fabrication skill & equipment you
have access to - it shouldn't be too difficult, a dremel should
be enough to open up the hood, then you just need to build an
airbox to seal it off. I built one out of cardboard for testing
at the track with my '96, Bill Tierney used the base of the stock
air can as a starting point on his '93. Essentially you just
need to open up the nostrils (if they aren't already), cut a hole
in the bottom of the hood and build an airbox to seal off the
throttle body to the hood. If you're handy with fiberglass
that's an option, but sheet metal could be used also. Another
option might be to use something like a 4" hole saw to open up
a spot into the plenum in the hood, rivet a flange in place, and
use some flexible air ducting to attach the hood to your stock
air hat. That method would probably be easier from a fabrication
standpoint, but not quite as optimal from a power perspective.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'