The importance of a good list

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:31:50 EST

 Folks,
 I just had a very rude awakening to the realization of how good of a list
we
 have here.

 Two days ago I joined a Yahoo group devoted to the manufacturer of my
travel
 trailer. Based on past experience on this list, DiRT, 3rd and 4th gen
 F-Body lists, I expected to find a group of people who are knowledgeable
 about their TT's and are eager to share their knowledge and experiences
with
 the rest of the group, but especially those who are new to the group. How
 wrong I was. Turns out my description of them being DEVOTED to the
 manufacturer was all to much a reality.

 There were a couple of people besides myself who have had some warranty
 issues with the manufacturer. The manufacturer has been denying warranty
 work to us stating the areas in question is the owners responsibility to
 maintain even one day after signing the papers. In my case it was a leaking
 roof. After nearly a month of trying to get this resolved I bought a tube
of
 rubber roof sealant for $8.00 and will repair the area myself in about 15
 minutes. This is on a 9 month old unit which has a 1 year bumper to bumper
 warranty plus a 12 year roof warranty.

 I was actually told by one person that in their opinion I would never be
 happy and should sell the trailer and take up another hobby altogether.
They
 said this simply because I asked someone how I am supposed to maintain (the
 common thread was that neither myself or the other two people had properly
 maintained their TT's) a brand new unit to prevent leaks that were
happening
 when I bought it but never saw until the first rain. Two other people
 replied that they agreed with this person and wished the group was
moderated
 so messages such as mine would be deleted before they ever hit the list! In
 the nearly 10 years I have been on various email lists, this is the first
 time I have seen such behavior aimed at either myself or anyone else on the
 list. Needless to say, I have unsub'd.

 Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, even if you didn't give me prior
 approval :)

 Take care everyone - even those I don't always agree with.

 John
http://lonestar.texas.net/jndneff/dakota/dakota.html

 PS, the Dak still pulls the trailer without any problems!