Re: First oil change on 3.7L 4x4

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 10:05:13 EST

At 05:18 AM 3/3/2004, you wrote:
>A question for you guys who are recommending this trick with the 2L
>bottle: are you holding this bottle over the filter with one hand while
>using a strap-type wrench to remove the filter with the other?

I loosened the filter just to the point where I could take it off by hand
and then put the bottle over it. They key (IMO) is to have the bottle
right up against the point where the filter meets the mounting
boss. Unless you cover that area (where the oil is going to spill out),
it's pretty much a waste to use the bottle.

You can (large) notch the front side of the bottle so that you can spin the
filter off with your hand while keeping the bottle in position. Then just
spin the filter off, hold the bottle there for a minute or so to catch the
additional oil that's hanging around in the area and that should do it.

Of course, since you have the 3.7, you may have to modify this procedure a
bit since the positioning of things will be different. (I'm able to do all
of this through the little filter access door that says "4.7L only")

I should also mention that I have the full skid plate package, so there's
really no other way to go about it for me. I can reach in from the
passengers side wheel well and grab the filter, but it's really not a good
angle to work at.

-Bill