RE: The new Dakota 2005....It looks like %*#@!!

From: \ (dodgedakotaquadcab@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 16:27:32 EST

I dont like it one damn bit.I really dont.I'll take my
3rd generation Dakota Quad Cab on looks alone.And the
6% difference in power on the 3.7 vs the 3.9 isnt big
at all...

The torque is the same,plain & simple.

In 1997,the 3rd generation Dakota came out,followed by
the 1998 Durango.The Durango followed the
Dakota.Now,it has done the opposite...

I've seen the new 2004 Durangos,and the front end
looks like an abortion...
--- J Wynia <jwynia@pragmapool.com> wrote:

> I first saw this little essay about 5 years ago and
> it still holds true
> today. All mailing lists go through a lifecycle that
> ends up either where
> this list (and several others I'm on) is: a cordial
> community of people
> helping each other out and discussing a common
> interest OR where the list
> you mentioned is.
>
> The Natural Life Cycle of Mailing Lists
> Kat Nagel
>
> Every list seems to go through the same cycle:
> 1. Initial enthusiasm (people introduce themselves,
> and gush a lot about
> how wonderful it is to find kindred souls).
>
> 2. Evangelism (people moan about how few folks are
> posting to the list,
> and brainstorm recruitment strategies).
>
> 3. Growth (more and more people join, more and more
> lengthy threads
> develop, occasional off-topic threads pop up).
>
> 4. Community (lots of threads, some more relevant
> than others; lots of
> information and advice is exchanged; experts help
> other experts as well as
> less experienced colleagues; friendships develop;
> people tease each other;
> newcomers are welcomed with generosity and patience;
> everyone -- newbie
> and expert alike -- feels comfortable asking
> questions, suggesting
> answers, and sharing opinions).
>
> 5. Discomfort with diversity (the number of messages
> increases
> dramatically; not every thread is fascinating to
> every reader; people
> start complaining about the signal-to-noise ratio;
> person 1 threatens to
> quit if *other* people don't limit discussion to
> person 1's pet topic;
> person 2 agrees with person 1; person 3 tells 1 & 2
> to lighten up; more
> bandwidth is wasted complaining about off-topic
> threads than is used for
> the threads themselves; everyone gets annoyed).
>
> 6a. Smug complacency and stagnation (the purists
> flame everyone who asks
> an 'old' question or responds with humor to a
> serious post; newbies are
> rebuffed; traffic drops to a doze-producing level of
> a few minor issues;
> all interesting discussions happen by private email
> and are limited to a
> few participants; the purists spend lots of time
> self-righteously
> congratulating each other on keeping off-topic
> threads off the list).
>
> OR
>
> 6b. Maturity (a few people quit in a huff; the rest
> of the participants
> stay near stage 4, with stage 5 popping up briefly
> every few weeks; many
> people wear out their second or third 'delete' key,
> but the list lives
> contentedly ever after).
>
> John Neff said:
> >
> > Folks,
> [...]