Re: what fluids to change at 12k miles?

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 19:47:47 EST

I'd change the diff fluid (don't forget LSD additive, if equipped). I
change the Tcase fluid every 15k or so, but the norm is 30k. I'd do the
same with the manual transmission... never is a long long time to change the
fluid! ;-) If you're doing the work yourself, it's too cheap to not
change them often.

-Jon Smith

I have a 2003 Dakota, 4x4, 4.7 V8, manual transmission. I've just
rolled over 12000 miles and am getting ready for a longish
roadtrip. I'm somewhat of a newbie under the hood, but I have a
factory service manual coming in the mail, and am learning as I go. Up
to now I've changed the oil every 3000 miles (starting with MobilOne
at 1000), rotated the tires at 8000 miles, and just today had the
dealer address the wiring harness recall. I know I need to change the
front and rear differential fluids, at least according to the manual
schedule `B', but are there other fluids I should change too? What
about the transfer case and the transmission fluid; when should they
first be changed? According to the manual, the transfer case fluid
doesn't need changing until 60000 miles, and the manual transmission
fluid never does. Is such a long interval really to be recommended?

Thanks for any help.

Jud Herrman, jherrman@suscom-maine.net