RE: RE: Ouch, that hurts. Man down!!!

From: Gabriel Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 11:54:28 EST

nope... i hadn't posted it. i was getting of the Florida Turnpike, and when
i reached the end of the offramp, the lady in front of me stopped, so i
stopped. she then accellerated to merge in, so i looked to merge in (almost
behind me, about 150 degrees) and when i saw a gap, i accellerated... right
into the back of her car. she had accellerated and stopped. i didn't see
her stop, since i was looking directly away (like i said, about 150 degrees
away from my view).

the big problem is that the top of the Gen III bumper is higher than a
Caravan's rear bumper. my thick steel bumper hit her sheetmetal gate. to
add insult to injury, her bumper pushed in the plastic valence on my truck,
broke it, and caused the metal screws that hold it on to gouge into and cut
her rear bumper. i also lost a fog lamp.

the body shop told me it was cheaper to get a salvage tailgate and bumper
than to fix hers (even though the collision was at 5mph, TOPS!). oh, and
because of the height of the bumper, i hit her at the very base of the floor
board, so that needs to be straightened out too! maybe i should use some of
my legal training to sue DC for a bad design of it's bumpers. it's amazing
how they can build their own cars that won't prevent hits from each other.
bumpers are built to take hits of up to 5-10 mph without any damage... but
it doesn't work where the bumpers aren't there to prevent the damage.

oh, and i didn't claim the accident to insurance, because that would have
raised my insurance by at least $1000 per year for the next 3-4 years...
more than fixing the car and my truck now.

oh, and the $2k is for repair of her car and my truck.

Gabriel Couriel