Re: More Tire Talk

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 12:45:01 EST

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2004, at 21:09, Terrible Tom wrote:
>
>> 275/70/17 current stock size
>> Roughly 32x10.5x17 - however Mike pointed out to me when he was here -
>> that tire sizes fluctuate greatly, between manufacturers. A BFG
>> 33x12.5x15 will probably differ from a Bridgestone os the same size.
>

> remember that my yokos are very close to 32*10.5-17 in their 265/70-17
> size - might be a far cheaper option for you if you're interested
> (currently $101).
>
> I'd aim for BFG A/Ts on that truck, myself... though all they have in
> 17" rims sizes are LT-sized, which you definitely pay for. but there's
> 3 that fit the bill....
>
> size | rim widths | section width on rim | o.d. | load@psi $TireRack price
> LT265/70R17/C | 7.0 - 8.5 | 10.7 on 8.0 | 31.8 | 2470@50 $161
> LT285/70R17/D | 7.5 - 9.0 | 11.5 on 8.5 | 32.8 | 3195@65 $182
> LT315/70R17/D | 8.5 - 10.0 | 12.0 on 8.5 | 34.5 | 3195@50 $154
> 37x12.50R17/D | 8.5 - 11.0 | 12.8 on 10.0 | 36.3 | 3525@50 $262
>
> I also wouldn't hesitate to replace them with goodyear MT/Rs - they get
> good ink, but I've got no expirience. I'm heading to bed instead of
> looking up stats and numbers on them for ya =)

heheh been there done that! I've been pretty much non-stop researching
tires - to the point of obsession. I appreciate the info however - I
did not know that was avalible on tirerack. I see its under "specs" *duh*

I got the Ram with the MT/Rs fairly worn down already so I didn't get to
see how they handled new. Offroad I am sure they are wonderful tires. I
was very suprised to see them ranked so high on Tirerack. Onroad my
experiance has been another story. These tires on icey roads leave much
to be desired in the way of traction. Siping would probably go a long
way to making the MT/Rs a more traction friendly tire onroad.

There was a review of the BFG AT's in 315/70/17 on Tirerack. It was by
another 2001 Ram offroad owner. He said there was rub with that size
with stock suspension and he didn't recommend using that size tire
without a lift. He claims to have installed a leveling kit and the rub
went away. The problem is I can't seem to find any leveling kits that
are listed as "OK" for a Offroad Ram with factory lift. Most specified
as "not for factory lifted offroad"

Just this morning a friend called me up - he got his 6000+lb 1987 Buick
Electra Estate wagon (complete with fake wood grain) stuck in an icey
and snowy feild trying to show off with his GF in the pass. seat. I
went to haul his ass outta there... it was an uphill situation and the
bald MT/Rs just spun in place and dug the truck in. I run them at 40
PSI - I had to air down to 25 psi (which I should have thought to do
prior to goin' in the feild... I didn't think it was going to be that
difficult to get him out) Once I aired down - I couldn't believe how
much traction I had even bald. I was in 4-low as well.

Having said that however I can't justify another set of MT's for the Ram
since its going to be onroad the majority of the time... really...

Survey says: BFG AT's in 315/70/17 - - and I'll deal with tire rub as
needed.

"Why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak?"