about that new ram I'm dreaming of

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 22:56:28 EST

I just realized how often I've been mentioning it today.

blame me looking at prices last night...
configured identically (more or less) there seems to be about a $700
difference between a 3/4 and a 1 ton. I thought that was pretty
interesting.

what I want is a Laramie QC short box 4x4 with a six speed Cummins,
4.10s and the offroad goodies (tires skid plate and hooks). gotta be
the Laramie 'cause I want climate control, damnit. gotta be a Cummins
'cause it's just gotta be a Cummins. yeah.

but that should NOT be a $42000 truck. good god! and of course with
the new 50 state even H.O.-er motor coming this year, I really would
like a new one. and that just isn't going to happen. </whine>

Time to start keeping a far closer eye on Ebay for something similar
under 150k miles in very good condition for a more realistic price.
but they hold resale like a sonofabitch! Jon, now I know what you went
through looking for your tow rig!

So now having briefly checked eBay, I noticed something interesting:
bargain online buying of new vehicles. Described in the auction for
this Ram <http://tinyurl.com/2pvp7>, it sounds interesting, but also
too good to be true since that's pushing 10k off sticker. Anyone else
see anything wrong with this picture?

If there's nothing wrong with it, I don't see a good reason not to save
the money aside from the better treatment you'll often see when getting
a vehicle serviced where it was purchased - but seeing as I'll continue
being a very mobile person for the next 5-10 years, that's barely on my
radar as a concern, and the 7 grand saved easily outweighs that -
especially since they'll do it for an ordered vehicle too.

I either just found a way to screw myself, or a way to get
1-year-old-and-used pricing on a new truck.

I was going to sign this off swearing to stop obsessing. I don't think
I'm going to do that anymore. =)

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 360 (parked)         98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!)