Re: Update: Fuel Pump Replacement

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 11:01:01 EST

A. S. wrote:

> For those of you who have been following my questions on replacing the
> fuel pump, here's the latest update. I was able to replace the fuel
> pump over the weekend with no problem. Here are some answers to the
> questions I had and other details that may be helpful to anyone else who
> attempts this in the future.
> First off, there is the debate of dropping the tank vs. jacking up the
> bed vs. completely removing the bed. Having first hand experience now I
> can say that the easiest way is to remove the bed completely. So what's
> involved with removing the bed...how many bolts??? On my 95, there were 8
> bolts. After removing the 8 bolts, the lights need to be unplugged and
> the spare tire crank tube thing needs to be removed. Also, the gas
> filler neck needs to be disconnected. All of this is extremely simple
> and takes very little time. After all of this is removed/disconnected,
> the bed will lift right off. Three people can lift it off pretty
> easily, but the more the better.
> Once the bed is off, replacing the pump itself is a snap. The lock
> ring on the pump can be removed with a flat screwdriver and a few bumps
> with the palm of your hand. You can then remove the gas line/hoses and
> electrical connector and the pump is ready to lift out. Once I got the
> pump out and I siphoned all the gas out and made sure to wipe the tank
> clean. The hole in the gas tank is pretty big, so unless you have
> really big arms, you can get in there to wipe it out. I found mine to
> be extremely clean after 138,000 miles.
> Pump installation is the opposite of removal. The pump comes with a
> new gasket. The only thing you might need is a couple of hose clamps.
> In my case, mine were in excellent shape and in no need of replacing.
> Bed installation is the opposite of removal. It helps to have one
> person under the truck and one person standing when lining up the holes
> for the bolts. Otherwise you would be constantly getting up and down.
> Installation of the bed was just as quick as removal.
> Overall the job was simple. I would rate it as a job that you could
> accomplish after you got home from work one evening and be ready to go
> the next morning. That is, you could take 3 hours to complete the job
> and you wouldn't be rushing yourself.
> One other thing to note that I don't ever think was clearly answered is
> the question of whether or not the sending unit was part of the fuel
> pump assembly. I can definitely say that it is a part of the assembly.
> Total cost for the job: about $158 for the pump assembly from Napa
> (that's with a AAA discount). Sure beats the $450 shop quote. I've got
> some basic pictures if anyone is interested in the future. I'll try to
> put them online if I get a chance.
> The new fuel pump fixed my problems. My gas gauge finally works after
> 90,000+ miles of not working and the truck starts right up. No more
> turning the key on/off twice and having the truck crank forever before
> [...]

Ok Mike - I think the bed should come off instead of trying to drop the
tank... yeah after all the body lift bolts are brand new and clean -
yup I don't know what kind of condition the tank straps are in.

Damn - Jon's lift won't clear the sides of the bed! Hurry we have to
find some way to lift the bed!

(sounds of wrenching and hydroulic lifts roaring overhead, rain pouring
in the background)

I found some 4x4 posts! Quick lets cut them down! Double stack the
lift feet for the rear and use the 4x4 posts up front! Ok steady lift!
  CLEAR!!! Raise the lift! (BLAM!!!) ok ok - WATCH IT!! WATCH IT there's
wires back there that wern't disconnected!! *snap*

..... woah... I still have flashbak to the Summer of 2003 - - sorry
Aaron.

Yeah I reread my first post - I told you six bed bolts - I was wrong -
there are 8. I must have been thinking of the 6 cab mounts. I also
forgot about the spare tire winch - considering I dont have one anymore
- I didn't realie it might have been a problem.

Agreed - Dak fuel pump replacement isnt that difficult. Now... heh
changing the heater core.. LOL!

"Why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak?"