Re: Gen III Front Calipers

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 15:40:48 EST

yeah, yeah, I admitted my stupidity already.. Remember, I am the guy
that had to BREAK my rotor to get it off my truck (and now, oddly
enough, I have a rattle on that side of the truck...)... Ugh.

>>> david.clement@verizon.net 03/25/04 12:36PM >>>

Nope, if the bleeder is not at the top you can pump as much fluid
through the
caliper as you want and the air bubble trapped at the top of the
caliper will
stay there. The reason being is you have a relatively small volume of
fluid
coming into a comparatively large reservoir and the velocity it is
moving at
slows way down. If you are using a one way check valve to bleed the
brakes the
fluid you are moving through the caliper will just go around the bubble
and out
the bleeder. If you are pumping the brakes to build pressure than
releasing it
the air bubble will just compress in the high spot in the caliper and
expand
back again when the bleeder is opened. You can move an air bubble
through the
lines because you have a relatively constant volume through the length
of the
lines. With a check valve bleeder the air bubble is just carried along
by the
fluid with a pumping bleed the air is compressed and allowed to expand
in the
direction of the bleeder.

Eventually the air will rise to the highest point. But have you ever
noticed
the controtions the lines goes through between the master cylinder and
the
calipers/wheel cylinders ? An air bulb will rise up to a point that the
line
makes a direction change down and sit there. The air will collect at
each of
those little high points.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <s062a6fb.060@mail.dhs.state.il.us>, DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us
("BARRY
OLIVER") writes:

> er, hydraulic pressure from the fluid behind it?? If your assertion
had
> any merit, you wouldn't ever have to bleed your brakes because the
air
> would just rise to the M-C and things would be peachy... lol You
did
> make me think for a second, tho..

> if the bleeder is on the BOTTOM how are you going to get the AIR
OUT?

> the air comes out the TOP!
> Tony.
>
> www.helptonyout.com