Re: Horn replacement on 2000 Dakota

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 07:32:53 EST

Hey, Sherm,

<snip> My horn has stopped working on my 2000 Dakota club cab Sport. It has
been
working intermittently and it finally stopped altogether<snip>

Either your horn relay went south or you've got bad connections at the
horns...

<snip> I would like to replace the stock horns with Fiamms. The stock horns
have two
wires coming out of the wiring harness into each horn, but the Fiamms only
 require one wire to each horn<snip>

You sure about that? Check this out:

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/AftermarketHornsFAQ.htm#Additional%20Notes%20on%20Horn%20Installation

Looks like you'll need a new relay anyways...

<snip> Can someone tell me which wire is the hot wire?<snip>

You'll need a tester to figure that out, unless you can see where one of
them goes to the frame - that would be the ground...& to do it alone, you'll
need some jumper wires with alligator clips on both ends to maintain
connection...

  <snip>Do I have to use both wires or can I just tape the end of the unused
wire?<snip>

If the link above is correct, you'll need both...but - yes - you can tape
off the ground wire, if it's not used. The horn body may ground itself to
the frame...
OTOH, when I put the Hella Air Horns in the DAKSY, they had a POSITIVE
ground...Heh...found THAT out when I hit the horn switch after install...Air
horns aren't very loud when they suck air IN!

HTH,

BTW, Where did you find the Fiamms? My Hella's are starting to sound a tad
anemic, & I don't wanna spring for the Buell Air horns ($500+!)

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed

WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/