Re: Transmission Prep

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 11:00:25 EDT

"Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote in message

> Ok, I really need some help on this....
>
> I found out yesterday that my trans is done for...evidently one of the
> clutch packs have worn out. Sa instead of screwing arround with a
rebuild,
> I found a 99 42re with 18k on it and decided to install that.
>
> As far as the install, I need to know what should be done to prep the
trans
> for install. Aside for flushing the lines, is there a need to prime the
> trans with fluid before installing??

You should flush out the "new" trans, lines, cooler, etc. Then fill the tq
converter (half full to avoid covering yourself with fluid) with fluid and
install it onto the trans, while taking care to line up all the splines
correctly. Do NOT just force it on. Then bolt it up to the truck and fill
the trans with fluid. start the truck in neutral and top off the fluid
level. Let it idle for a while so that all the passageways open up inside,
keeping a close eye on fluid level. I'd say that after about 20 - 30
minutes of idling you'll be okay to shift into any gears.

I don't know that this is right or wrong, this is just how I've done it in
the past with good results. My uncle (who's been doing trans's for 30
years) showed me this method.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L