Re: was "That thing got a Hemi?", now VW TDI

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 08:35:29 EDT

On Apr 20, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2004, at 22:31, andy levy wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/2004 10:27 PM, Michael Maskalans wrote:
>>
>> | Of course this morning it took
>> | me 30 seconds to remember how to get a VW stick into reverse, so
>> maybe
>> | that's an omen that I should keep focusing on a Ram.
>>
>> What the...?
>>
>> I mean, I know how to drive a stick, I've never driven a VW, you're
>> telling me they're completely different from the rest of the world?
>>

> R 1 3 5
> | | | |
> +--+--+--+
> | |
> 2 4
>
> which seems odd now that I look at it, just becuase of the way it is.
> but the kicker is that you have to press down to get reverse. I also
> initially had trouble hitting first and second since that gate was
> stiff as all hell - which is why I thought I was getting into reverse,
> since I was pushing through so much to get there. heh.
> --
> Mike Maskalans <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
> 84 RamCharger 360 (parked) 98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!)
> mobile.612.618.4652 campus.585.274.2246 fax.360.364.3930

Hehe, yeah it takes getting used too. I have found that once I did it
was old hat matter which car I get in with a stick. I don't even think
about no matter where the reverse is. I myself now actually prefer the
German location for reverse with the lock-out. They tend to be a little
stiff at first but after, at the most, a hundred miles they settle
right in and get easy to use. Driving the diesel with a stick is a
little different than gas though. You have to remember not to wind it
out (learn to know what the peak RPM is for HP) and realize if you are
a little slow off the clutch the torque form the engine will make it a
little difficult to shift out of gear.

Again with all of this once I got used to it I can drive anything,
pretty much, without much of a second thought.

I wish DC would get smart and let the chrysler group use some of the
CDI engines they offer in europe. THey have some light truck engines
that are amazing and the crappy fuel we have would make a difference
since most of the engines are made to run in countries with far less
quality diesel than we have. The one they have used on the Geolander in
the past would be a good fit for the dakota. Quick little sucker too.

Jeff Durling