Re: Dark Trans Fluid (gotta flush it!)

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 19:11:32 EDT

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:01:38 -0400, SilverEightynine@aol.com (Terrible
Tom) wrote:
>clean new AFT+4 = pink
>old trans fluid = dark orange
>
>No ideas on how I can flush the rest of that nasty old fluid out??
>
>I have the pan off and am geting ready to install the drain plug.

Maybe Bernd can weigh in on this: I remember reading a lot about
color not being a good indicator of fluid quality on ATF+4.

Mine is still pink as can be, though, and I've got 52,000 miles and
have never flushed the transmission. (Just fluid + filter changes
every 12,000 miles)

I know this might sound stupid, but might take you less actual time
than trying to figure out a way to flush it yourself. Since you're
installing a drain plug, changing the fluid again won't require as
much work as it usually would. (i.e. no need to drop the pan and
reseal it when you put it back on). What if you just do the fluid +
filter change now, drive the truck for a couple of days, and then
drain out the fluid from the pan again and replace that? Seems to me
that'll get you more fresh fluid in the transmission than just
changing it once without having to rig up a way to flush it.

-Bill