Re: MPG and Defending the 3.9L (was: found 3 mpg)

From: Bill Knight (billk5008@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 18:09:32 EDT

I agree, I had a 97 Dakota SLT 3.9L automatic, stock tires. Not sure the
gear ratio in rear. When I bought it I ws getting 17 highway. Installed
K&N homebrew, free flowing muffler, 3923 plugs, and homemade tonnau cover
and went to 21 miles per galon on the highway. Now have a 2000 Durango SLT
5.9L automatic, stock tires. Not sure what I started with but did the 3923
plugs indexed, K&N drop in filter and synthetic oil in engine and get 20MPG
highway doing the speed limit with A/C going. Keys to mileage is proper
tune up, proper tire inflation, and easy on the gas peddle.