Re: DML:Rear brake conversion

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 13:10:50 EDT

Bernd,
Sure it's a marketing ploy to have base models with drums and upgraded versions
with disks. The manufacturing cost between base models and upgraded models is
far less (if there is any difference) than the added price that is charged for
the upgraded model (this applies to more than just brakes too), more profit
flows to the bottom line with the upgraded model. Manufacturers need those base
models for advertising, ever notice the adds "starting at $xxxxx" with a
picture of a loaded vehicle then down in the corner in real small print "as
equiped $xxxxx + 30% or so). The base price establishes a mind set of I can
afford that car even if when they go out the door it's $10K more where as they
may not have even considered the vehicle at the price the final sale price.

Remember manufacturers are in business to make a profit if they don't the are
gone in short order. In the automotive industry it's all about status, style
and preception much much more than real world measurable differences. The
consumer has no way of confirming much of the claims of superiority between
manufacturers so it becomes a big marketing game.

Dave Clement

99 SLT+ CC 4x4