Blower motor noise

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 18:19:59 EDT

Unfortunately, a problem that I thought was finished plaguing me is
back.

Back in 2000, shortly after I got my truck (2000 CC), I started to
have a noise coming from the blower motor any time the fan was on
(heat, A/C, didn't matter). I took the truck back to the dealer I
bought it from. Unfortunately, since it was an intermittent problem,
it didn't do it for them. Stupidly, they just ordered a new blower
motor and told me to come back when the part came in.

A few days later, I got a call saying that the part was in and that I
should come back. I did. When they ripped everything apart, they
determined the problem to be a "sticker stuck in squirrel cage" ...
Hmm, ok, rather stupid to order a relatively expensive part when the
"problem" is something so simple.

The problem didn't return for a while, but it definitely returned.
Each time, though, I'd call the dealer (eventually a different dealer
from the morons I bought the truck from) and was told that if it
turned out to be a "debris problem" that it would not be covered by
warranty and I'd have to pay for it. (Not exactly a fun thought,
since getting access to the blower motor involves removing the
dashboard, disconnecting the A/C lines, heater core, etc.) I never
actually made it into the dealer because the problem would always go
away before I made it in. In short, it's happened at least once every
year since I've had the truck.

Fast forward to last week. It started doing it again. Of course, I'm
now well outside of my 3 years/36,000 miles and the problem has
returned. I'm pretty convinced that the issue isn't really a
"sticker" stuck in there and that there's actually something wrong
that has been wrong since I got the truck. Of course, I don't really
have much of a way to prove that now (stupid me, I should have
insisted it get fixed when I was still under warranty).

I'm thinking that the problem is actually something loose or broken in
the fan itself or with the little trap doors that control the air
flow. Anybody ever seen/heard this before? Any idea of what the
problem might actually be or how much it will cost me to get this S***
fixed?

Thanks.

-Bill