Mopar Nats: Was Loss of bottom end

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 23:37:47 EDT

Don't mean to burst your bubble Ron but even if you show up at the Mopar
Nats with a 10 second, 4-tire smokin, V6 Dak there will probably be 3 people
who would care. You, me, and Jim Knox. Well maybe 5 if Bob Tom and Jon
Steiger show up.

As far as anyone else being impressed by what you actually run on the track
at this event....fugetaboutit! The only people who ever comment about my
times do so by telling me how much quicker their truck (or their buddy's
truck) is than mine. Is it here and is it being raced? Of course not!

The Mopar Nats and the Chrysler Classic are the 2 largest Mopar events in
the country with a race program. Good payout too! Yet you can usually
count on one hand the number of Daks going down the track. Oh sure, you'll
find 20 or 30 in the pits with their hoods up, showing off their blowers or
nitrous setups but none of them will go near the track. They always tell
me they run 12's or 11's in street trim but they also always have some
excuse for why they aren't going to do it this weekend.

These events don't have a truck class but that's no excuse to not race. In
addition to those entered in the bracket race program, any registered show
or fun field participant at these events gets to make time trials and
compete in a trophy race. Still no takers! I just don't understand the
rationale behind hopping up a truck and not wanting to actually find out how
fast you really are or how your results compare to your peers.

Now this wasn't meant to discourage you Ron, or anyone else on the list. We
need more like you and the others on the list who aren't afraid to run at
the track to get to these events if at all possible and we'll have a great
time. The more of us who participate, the more there will be to impress
with exceptional performance and perhaps we could shame some of those other
Daks I mentioned into participating as well.

Sorry for running long with this. I'm gonna blame Jim Knox for getting me
started. ;-)

RayB