Re: car wash

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 08:46:54 EDT

On May 5, 2004, at 11:38 PM, Josh Battles wrote:

> Every year, for the first wash of the season, I use dish soap. It
> works
> great in stripping all the old wax off so that I can put the new stuff
> on.
> ;-) (and we've all seen how shiney my truck is...)
>
> --
> - Josh
> Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L
> www.geocities.com/lenny187/dakota.html
> www.omg-stfu.com

Only problem with dish soap is it breaks down more than just the wax.
Over time, and continued use, it starts to break down the paint itself.
One of the first things to go is the UV inhibitor in the paint. This
takes a good while though. f you only keep a vehicle four to five years
you probably will never notice but if you plan to keep it a long time
eventually no matter what you do the finish will always have a dullness
to it. It also can be a factor in the peeling of paint due to it
messing with the adhesion to the primer coat.

No trying to tell you what to do just giving you a heads up. Not saying
I'm an expert either but between my father and me we own several
classic cars that are in very good restored condition with two being
full blown five point concors cars.

Jeff Durling