Re: Manual transmission fluid

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 11:10:58 EDT

Bernd D. Ratsch said:

> AH!! Do NOT use 75W90 in the AX-15 - it's too thick and causes shift
> bind.
> Use Redline MTL - best darn stuff out there (next to the BG fluid).
>
> I had made the mistake of using a Synthetic GL-5 (75W90) fluid in my
> transmission (also an AX-15)...bad - very bad.

Interesting... Thanks for the info. What's so bad about it? Is it true
that it eats synchros? Has Chrysler changed their recommendation since
the '95 FSM was printed?

Not trying to question your findings, I'm sure the Redline is what works
best for you. I just know that my requirements are a bit different (I
don't race and don't really care about lightning-quick power shifting). I
*do* however care a lot about longevity and durability, and if the GL-5
causes extra wear I'm kind of pissed about it being listed in the service
manual.

Also, what's the "BG fluid"? I have to admit I've never heard of that.
Is it just another brand name, or some kind of magic mystery oil?

Thanks,
Jason