Re: Straight pipes

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 22:59:07 EDT

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:24:54 -0400, WAJK1976 wrote:

> Hello all
> I have a 93 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6. If I was to buy headers from JBA and run a staright pipe from the cat back (NO MUFFLER) How much more power would I get from the motor? Would there be any drawbacks from doing this? What is the advantage to buying the Mopar performance exhaust system they offer?
>
> From Jesse

You'd probably be better off to spend your money on intake stuff first
such as a ported TB and maybe a ported manifold similar to the ones from
Hughes Engines, then go to the headers... As much as the GenII's are
lighter, it's still a pretty heavy vehicle, so low-end torque shouldn't be
sacrificed too much, which is what will happen with just headers.

The straight pipe will be LOUD. I have a flowmaster 40 series and 3"
exhaust from the y-pipe back on my '92 3.9. It's loud, really loud. I
couldn't imagine straight pipes.

oh yeah, one thing I forgot. The '92 and some '93 magnum engines had
basically "HO" exhaust manifolds with a larger inner diameter. Check the
casting numbers http://faq.dakota-truck.net/Model_Years/1992.html If you
have the bigger manifolds, going to headers right away probably won't do
much of anything.