Re: truck issues-antifreeze smell

From: Barry (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 14:20:02 EDT

Brian Fitchett wrote:

> I noticed the sweet smell of burnt antifreeze after i got home today. i
> looked for any obvious leaks and didnt see any. i topped off the
> antifreeze and changed the belt since it was cracked and i was under the
> hood anyways. couple of things that i noticed... there were some burn
> marks around the pulley that has the fan attached (i dont know exactly
> what it is called, i am a chemist not a mechanic) like the belt had been
> skidding aginst the mount there and i also noticed that the fan doesnt
> spin freely (if it isnt supposed to, disregard that comment but let me
> know!). so i got the belt on and retensioned, started it up and smoke
> starts coming from the aforementioned pulley, figure that cant be
> good.... any ideas about what the problem may be and what the sweetly
> sickening smell of antifreeze can indicate and how to fix this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
> Black 98 CC V6
> SLC, UT

Er, that sounds suspiciously like a siezed up waterpump, but I'll let the
more experienced chime in....

--
          -Barry

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think" -fortune cookie

DML: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Rb@6EE4xQAF2k/ Superhawk: http://barrysuperhawk.home.insightbb.com