Re: water pump stuff

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 16:59:13 EDT

"Brian Fitchett" <bfitchett@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:c8ivp2$16p$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> I am going to replace the water pump pretty soon here since it seems to
> have seized (figured out with the help of the fine people on this list).
> reading through the instructions in the FSM (thanks Josh!) it says not
> to pry the water pump off at the timing chain case/cover... which leads
> me to the question... where is this cover that i need to be careful
> with? last thing i want to do is screw up more stuff. also, i loosened
> the bolts that hold the water pump on (7 of them) and i started leaking
> antifreeze from those holes, is that normal? i drained the coolant from
> the radiator according is there still gong to be more fluid in the motor
> that cant be removed until the water pump is taken out?

Since the clutch fan is attached to the water pump, you might be able to
just grab the stem that comes out of the water pump pulley and try to rock
it off if you're afraid that you might damage the timing cover. Personally,
I've never had an issue like that, but then again I've never had to crack
into a dodge motor like that.

Also, coolant coming out of the water pump boltholes is normal. Because the
bolts are used to seal the waterjackets, you should be sure to use some sort
of thread sealant on the ends when you reinstall.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L