Re: Alarm suggestions

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 22:39:01 EDT

andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:
[...]
: So, I'm looking for an alarm now. I'm going to have it installed
: professionally, looking for comments on what brands/models to look at.
: I don't want to sound cheap but I can't go much beyond $300 I'm thinking.

: '03 QC, power everything, with remote entry. Remote start is optional.
: ~ Thanks for any ideas.

   DEI seems to make excellent products. I have installed their
Viper system w/remote start on 2 of my vehicles and they have been
excellent. In your case, I would probably be tempted to purchase the
best DEI system that I could afford. As far as the remote start goes,
it sure is a nice thing to have in the winter, but with your 5 speed,
I would be extremely surprised if you will be able to find a shop
willing to install one. I have a remote start on my (5-speed) Dak
and it can be safe if the proper precautions are taken, but you have
to be very, very careful and never let your guard down. I can show
you the skid marks on the shop floor and the dent in my bumper which
was the result of not being as careful as I should have been. ;-)

   A system like LoJack where they can track the vehicle would
be very nice, but I'm not sure that is available in the alarms
in the price range you are shopping in.

   In your shoes, I would probably look up some alarm installers
in the yellow pages, and perhaps seek some recommendations at
local auto parts stores & body shops. Then, just visit them
all in person, see what they sell, get brochures and prices,
and have a look see at their operation (cleanliness,
professionalism, etc.) Then sit down at home and do some
comparisons.

   This last step you may wish to ignore, depending on your
personal level of anal-ness ;-) but you *might* want to do it
in such a way that the install can't be personally traced to
you without some difficulty. (Remove all items from the
truck with any personal identification on them, don't give
them your address or phone number (maybe pretend you are visiting
from out of town and don't have an address or phone where you
can be reached?), pay in cash. The registration sticker and
license plates could be tricky... You could probably carefully
scrape the stickers off (so that you can put them back on later)
and swap the plates before driving it to the shop for the install,
but that is of course, not legal. :-) And anyway, if the shop
has any access to a DC dealer, your VIN number will give them your
home address and phone number. (Or at least, the address you
had when you bought the truck - I'm not sure if that is updated
at all after the sale.) Its all just a matter of how paranoid
you want to be and how much trouble you want to go through. :-)
The purpose behind all the 007 stuff of course is that it isn't
completely unheard of for the alarm installer to program an extra
remote or leave a back door so that he can help himself to your
vehicle later.

  In addition to the alarm system, you may want to think about
adding a few homebrewed roadblocks, like hidden switches which
interrupt power to the ignition system, fuel pump, or other
essential circuits. They won't keep your radio in the dash, but
might discourage joyriders.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'